things by recognizing that in some way they share a mutual trait or exemplify a
common principle. A simile more specifically connects these two dissimilar things
with the words "like" or "as." A metaphor provides you with an extremely efficient
way to organize and remember information. It brings your own experience into focus
and it can be a lot of fun. Aristotle once said, "The greatest thing by far is to be a
master of the metaphor."
Now create metaphors & similes around any of the following words -- Love,
Confidence, Genius, Music, Pollution, Curiosity -- What animals, plants,
colors, shapes, minerals or other things are metaphorically like the above words?
Here are some examples to get you started:
1) LOVE is like a pure spring rain gently stimulating my entire being.
2) Demonstrating CONFIDENCE is like opening the envelope of courage.
3) A spoonful of GENIUS can dispel an ocean of the unknown.
4) The diversity of MUSIC is like the spectrum of light, visible and invisible in its
range of appreciation.
5) World POLLUTION is like a disintegrating work of art.6) The light of CURIOSITY can puncture the abyss of ignorance